Every church exists and thrives with the support of its congregation, its friends and community. The Minster is no exception. We aim to improve the lives of everyone on the Isle of Wight, but can only do so with your help.
The aim is for the Minster to be both a vibrant house of worship and a cultural magnet for Newport at the heart of the island.
With the support of the National Lottery Heritage Fund, we have an opportunity to restore the church’s historic structure and contents, and reorder the internal space. A new floor and lighting, improved accessibility and visitor facilities, and conservation of the Minster’s heritage treasures such as the Horsey Monument and the Princess Elizabeth Memorial will create a venue fit for all events – from community meetings and school visits to concerts, exhibitions and plays.
Over recent years the Friends have raised £1,500,000 towards the restoration and refurbishment of the Minster. This work has been conducted in phases, with the support of the National Lottery Heritage Fund and generous donors and grant-makers. We are nearing the end of the programme but still have £50,000 to raise. Our refurbishment project includes:-
- Reflooring and reordering the Church making it more suitable for cultural and celebratory events
- Installing toilets and improving accessibility
- Creating a mezzanine which, at a later stage, will be served by a lift
- Completing the restoration of the exterior stonework
- Conserving the Minster’s heritage treasures such as the Horsey Monument and the Princess Elizabeth Memorial
- Repairing the West Door and the remaining stained glass windows
- Creating a dedicated space for school and community groups
Donate to The Project
Our priority is to complete the funding of The Project. Every donation brings us closer to our target for the current phase of work.
You can give in a number of ways:
- By reading and completing the Renewal Campaign Brochure, available for download here.
- A single one-off donation (click on the button opposite to download the form);
- A repeating, monthly donation (click on the button opposite to download the form);
- Give via our JustGiving page;
- By text with the message NPNM01£25 (or any other amount), sent to 70070
- You are able also to donate to the PCC for the welfare of the Minster here.
The Minster relies upon volunteers for its daily life to flourish. We urgently need more volunteers to:
- Welcome visitors daily.
- To act as Guides for individuals and organized parties.
- To serve in our Coffee Shop and make this a venue of choice.
- To work with schools and organisations.
- To help preserve our historic collections of artefacts.
- To keep our building clean and tidy.
- A host of small but important tasks, from flower arranging to dusting.
More about The Project
The Project will establish Newport Minster as a vibrant religious and cultural centre at the heart of the Island.
The project, which is supported by the National Lottery Heritage Fund, will share the Minster’s long and fascinating heritage with local people and visitors to the Island of all faiths and none.
New learning and wellbeing activities will provide exciting opportunities for the local community and encourage regeneration of the area.
The total cost of the current project is £2,400,000. The National Lottery Heritage Fund is offering a major grant of up to £870,000 providing the Friends can raise the rest of the money from other sources. We have received a fantastic pledge of a further £900k from a very generous donor and we have further pledges from Trusts and donations, so we are seeking the remaining £50,000.
The Friends are applying to grant-making trusts and foundations for contributions to this target, but the project will be dependent on the generosity and support of the island community and diaspora.