The aim is for the Minster to be a vibrant house of worship, a hub for the local community and a cultural magnet for Newport at the heart of the island.
Although work has now been completed on the exterior of the building and work continues internally on the refurbishment of the space we continue to fundraise to complete the project.
- To donate a chair is £100 or £125 if you would like to add a name to the back of the chair (up to 25 characters including spaces). If you are a UK citizen, it is possible to gift aid this donation and further increase the value of your gift by 25%
If you are interested in any of these opportunities please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us 01983 559257.
All donations help and are important and whatever you give will go towards transforming this building. It will enable us to refurbish the floors and create a modest, modern cafe, meeting rooms, an exhibition space with new accessible washroom provision and even underfloor heating. It will also contribute to supporting provision of events and activities to support the local community, like our free singing for fun group or warm welcome space Friday Cafe.
By spring 2024 Newport will have a church and civic building bursting with potential and ready for 21st Century community activities and events.
The Minster relies upon volunteers for its daily life to flourish. We are recruiting volunteers for when the building reopens in spring. Can you help with any of these roles?
- Welcome visitors daily.
- To act as Guides for individuals and organised parties.
- To serve in our Coffee Shop and make this a venue of choice.
- To work with schools and organisations.
- To help preserve our historic collections of artefacts.
- To keep our building clean and tidy.
- Support our community activities, like play cafe, homework club and place of welcome.
- A host of small but important tasks, from flower arranging to dusting.
If this sounds like the job for you email our Community Enagement Coordinator for more information
The gifts of UK taxpayers will be eligible for Gift Aid, making them 25% more valuable to the Friends and tax efficient for the donor.
More about The Project
The Project will establish Newport Minster as a vibrant religious and cultural centre at the heart of the Island.
The project, which is supported by the National Lottery Heritage Fund, will share the Minster’s long and fascinating heritage with local people and visitors to the Island of all faiths and none.
New learning and wellbeing activities will provide exciting opportunities for the local community and encourage regeneration of the area.
The total cost of the current project is £2,400,000. The National Lottery Heritage Fund is offering a major grant of up to £870,000 providing the Friends can raise the rest of the money from other sources. We have received a fantastic pledge of a further £900k from a very generous donor and we have further pledges from Trusts and donations, so we are seeking the remaining £50,000.
The Friends are applying to grant-making trusts and foundations for contributions to this target, but the project will be dependent on the generosity and support of the island community and diaspora.