The aim is for the Minster to be both a vibrant house of worship and a cultural magnet for Newport at the heart of the island.
Additional funding is needed to complete this work and offers you a chance to own a piece of local history or to sponsor the new chairs for the Island Minster:
- Original pews doors will be £50 each as is, or £75 if you would like a mirror fitted inside the frame. They will come with a certificate of authenticity.
- Pews will also be available for £100, but may require refurbishment. They will come with a certificate of authenticity.
- To donate a chair is £100 or £125 if you would like to add a name to the back of the chair (up to 25 characters including spaces). If you are a UK citizen, it is possible to gift aid this donation and further increase the value of your gift by 25%.
- A limited number of roof tiles will be available for £25 per slate and each comes with a certificate of authenticity.
If you are interested in any of these opportunities please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us 01983 559257.
All donations help and are important and whatever you give will go towards transforming this church. It will enable us to refurbish our monuments and create a modest, modern cafe, an exhibition space with new accessible washroom provision and even underfloor heating.
By the end of 2023 Newport will have a church and civic building bursting with potential and ready for 21st Century community activities and events.
The Minster relies upon volunteers for its daily life to flourish. We urgently need more volunteers to:
- Welcome visitors daily.
- To act as Guides for individuals and organized parties.
- To serve in our Coffee Shop and make this a venue of choice.
- To work with schools and organisations.
- To help preserve our historic collections of artefacts.
- To keep our building clean and tidy.
- A host of small but important tasks, from flower arranging to dusting.
The gifts of UK taxpayers will be eligible for Gift Aid, making them 25% more valuable to the Friends and tax efficient for the donor.
More about The Project
The Project will establish Newport Minster as a vibrant religious and cultural centre at the heart of the Island.
The project, which is supported by the National Lottery Heritage Fund, will share the Minster’s long and fascinating heritage with local people and visitors to the Island of all faiths and none.
New learning and wellbeing activities will provide exciting opportunities for the local community and encourage regeneration of the area.
The total cost of the current project is £2,400,000. The National Lottery Heritage Fund is offering a major grant of up to £870,000 providing the Friends can raise the rest of the money from other sources. We have received a fantastic pledge of a further £900k from a very generous donor and we have further pledges from Trusts and donations, so we are seeking the remaining £50,000.
The Friends are applying to grant-making trusts and foundations for contributions to this target, but the project will be dependent on the generosity and support of the island community and diaspora.